Ernest C.
Michelle and I recently spent a day working in the field. We walked through many of Lusaka's compounds, accompanied by a Community Worker. These individuals deliver follow-up information and track clients that have missed appoimtments. I accompanied Ernest. We had very basic directions but usually relied on people within the compounds to point us in the right direction. It was dusty. there were very few street signs and not much rhyme or reason to the house numbers. It was a ton of walking for one day. Ernest does it 5 or 6 days a week.
Ernest started working for the project shortly after testing positive for HIV. At that time, he spoke with his family and decided to go public with his status. He knows how devastating the stigma of AIDS in Africa is and that the stigma alone promotes silence -which promotes the spread. He's arranged a support group within his compound that consists of 40 individuals (some positive some negative) that encourages testing and healthy lifestyles. Spare time is spent making HIV/AIDS awareness pins and bracelets (which I can send if you'd like). His smile is one of the first that we see in the morning. I wish I could have caught more of it here.

Ernest's wife had a son just days after we worked together. I asked him what name they chose and he said that they wouldn't name him for a week or so. He asked if I had any ideas. Of course I do, right? Bob was at the top of the list followed by, John (Michelle's father) Dennis (My dad which is sinned backwards...didn't go over well) and William (my brother)...but I thought it should be something that Ernest felt sure about and that someday when the boy asked where the name came from, it would be more significant to the child. I'm one that knows the significance in a name..."Bob" being the only word that my brother could say at 1.5 years old. Maybe not as heart-warming but good none the less.
In the end, Ernest chose from my list - Wayne. Wayne is a friend of our family and has dedicated a significant part of his life to orphans in Namibia. I am learning more about the work that Wayne is doing in Africa and will soon write about that specifically. Wayne's soup kitchen that feeds and clothes AIDS orphans in Namibia is always in need of support. Click the link to the right (or go to www.francisfriends.org) to learn more.
*This post was approved by Ernest C.
Ernest started working for the project shortly after testing positive for HIV. At that time, he spoke with his family and decided to go public with his status. He knows how devastating the stigma of AIDS in Africa is and that the stigma alone promotes silence -which promotes the spread. He's arranged a support group within his compound that consists of 40 individuals (some positive some negative) that encourages testing and healthy lifestyles. Spare time is spent making HIV/AIDS awareness pins and bracelets (which I can send if you'd like). His smile is one of the first that we see in the morning. I wish I could have caught more of it here.

Ernest's wife had a son just days after we worked together. I asked him what name they chose and he said that they wouldn't name him for a week or so. He asked if I had any ideas. Of course I do, right? Bob was at the top of the list followed by, John (Michelle's father) Dennis (My dad which is sinned backwards...didn't go over well) and William (my brother)...but I thought it should be something that Ernest felt sure about and that someday when the boy asked where the name came from, it would be more significant to the child. I'm one that knows the significance in a name..."Bob" being the only word that my brother could say at 1.5 years old. Maybe not as heart-warming but good none the less.
In the end, Ernest chose from my list - Wayne. Wayne is a friend of our family and has dedicated a significant part of his life to orphans in Namibia. I am learning more about the work that Wayne is doing in Africa and will soon write about that specifically. Wayne's soup kitchen that feeds and clothes AIDS orphans in Namibia is always in need of support. Click the link to the right (or go to www.francisfriends.org) to learn more.
*This post was approved by Ernest C.


1 Comments:
At 8:25 AM,
roque said…
Bob, I'm dissapointed you didn't throw out Roque... or more appropriately, Rocky.
Post a Comment
<< Home