The Name is Nshima
(Some of you know the words)
The name is nshima
It's a staple food in Zambia
Use no fork or spoon
You must eat it with your hands
Michelle says that...it gets frustrating
Watching Bob play with his food
Its like rice and chicken
Oh nshima, they don't believe me
Ok...its difficult turning an entire post into a Weird Al parody of a Flaming Lips song, but Michelle and I are starting to like Zambia's main course. There are cooks on site that prepare nshima for lunch everyday. I think most people eat it for dinner as well. We only eat it once a week or so, but seriously, you must eat it with your hands and the locals encourage you to play with it a little. I was told that you need to "spread the oil from your fingers on it and mush it into a ball". It reminds me of watching my brother (as a kid) roll a piece of bread into a greasy ball then eat it in front of me... Nshima is somewhere in between rice and porridge and it's used to sop up gravy and cabbage. I included pictures of our lunch room too. And the dogs (Savo and Suki), they prefer us to eat nshima on site as opposed to walking home for lunch. Bones.


The name is nshima
It's a staple food in Zambia
Use no fork or spoon
You must eat it with your hands
Michelle says that...it gets frustrating
Watching Bob play with his food
Its like rice and chicken
Oh nshima, they don't believe me
Ok...its difficult turning an entire post into a Weird Al parody of a Flaming Lips song, but Michelle and I are starting to like Zambia's main course. There are cooks on site that prepare nshima for lunch everyday. I think most people eat it for dinner as well. We only eat it once a week or so, but seriously, you must eat it with your hands and the locals encourage you to play with it a little. I was told that you need to "spread the oil from your fingers on it and mush it into a ball". It reminds me of watching my brother (as a kid) roll a piece of bread into a greasy ball then eat it in front of me... Nshima is somewhere in between rice and porridge and it's used to sop up gravy and cabbage. I included pictures of our lunch room too. And the dogs (Savo and Suki), they prefer us to eat nshima on site as opposed to walking home for lunch. Bones.




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home