Bob and Baby Teddy
This is a picture of our neighbors, Teddy, Clara, and Baby Teddy. Teddy works for the project and maintains the flats where we stay so they live in the same complex as us. It is somewhat ridiculous how they designed the living arrangements. There is more than enough room in our walled off compound to build decent sized quarters for them, but the builders provided just a small place for them to live. Somewhat depressing but they seem to do ok. Clara is a cook for the project and makes great nshima dishes (she is the one that cooked for my birthday party). Teddy is a super-nice general worker with the project. There son, Baby Teddy, is super-cute little boy...but for some reason he hates me (Bob). If I happen to walk around the corner and he catches a glimpse of me, he screams, wails and runs for cover. I thought he would warm up to me over time but after 5 months, still nothing but sheer terror. Big-Teddy says that he might not like "white people", but Michelle doesn't get the same reception. So I've started Operation Teddy-Like-Me. It involves regular visits to just say hello...and a steady dose of sweets. I've started warming up to him with marshmallows...but he hasn't stopped crying long enough to realize what they are. I will happily report when Baby Teddy accepts me as a friend...or even when he downgrades me from resident crazy-man (which is where I stand now I think). -Just realized I don't have the picture of all three here at work. This is just Teddy running from the crazy mzungu.




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home