Just Words....
Kampala Uguanda sits on the north end of lake victoria...about 40 km from where Lake Victoria spills out to create the Nile River. I sit in a hotel room with some mosquitoes and suprisingly good ac.
I have a few pictures to post but Michelle has the camera. She went to the source of the nile today. There's a touristy park and strong rapids for rafting at Jinja. I doubt that Michelle is doing any rafting but she should soon have pictures to show off. I just finished a 2.5 day conference put on by the International Aids Vaccine Initiative. Good stuff for the most part. I'll save you from most of the details but will mention that the pool here is the biggest in East Africa. 50 meters of which I could only swim about 8 lengths...but I think I that I did them in world record pace...now that's only if there's a division that starts off freestyle...then moves into a back stroke kick...then to dog paddle...finished with a walk to the ledge. Man would Kevin Egli be disappointed. But Kevin would not be disappointed in the Ball State sweatshirt that one of the conference goers was wearing. He was from India...not Indiana. But when I told him where ball state was he mentioned how he knew Indiana was good in basketball. Maybe not Ball State but definitely that one team from Hickory.
One of the conference attendees based in Uganda had about 60 people to her house for dinner on Tuesday. Leslie Nielson (I got excited thinking it might be the same person from Naked Gun...nope) lives with her husband and 3 dogs in a fashionably rustic house right on the lake. After a 40 minute boat ride we were welcomed by african drummers, dancers, food and drinks. The house was log cabin-sh with exposed wood and had a metal sheet roof. Sitting right on the lake and with the african decor - it was impressive. Rustic with hi speed internet.
Highlights from Kampala - There are huge birds that fly over Kampala. I couldn't find the name. We saw one walking through a park and it looked like a little person.

Lowlight from Kampala - We came across an infant on the street...just sitting on the side of the road. She was maybe one year old, I'm pretty sure she couldn't walk yet. She was sitting with her hand out as she had been taught to help her mother beg for money. We stood there next to her as others just walked by. Her mother was down the street a ways and was watching for people that might give her money. This is the same city where cars and motorbikes sometimes drive on the sidewalks to beat traffic. Michelle sternly motioned for her to pick up her baby. She had two other little boys that were both crying. It was selfishly her team of little beggars. It was the closest that we've come to stealing a child. Sad.
We are leaving for Kigali Rwanda tonight. Michelle is going for the first time so I look forward to showing her around some familiar territory of mine. We should have a pretty fun weekend with our friend Ty. Maybe we'll head to Kibuye on Lake Kivu. Not sure yet. Michelle intended to see the Silverback Gorillas but there aren't any openings for this week. Maybe next time. Michelle will be there through Friday and I'll just be there until Tuesday. Will hopefully post some pictures and things in the next few days. Hope everything is going well.
I have a few pictures to post but Michelle has the camera. She went to the source of the nile today. There's a touristy park and strong rapids for rafting at Jinja. I doubt that Michelle is doing any rafting but she should soon have pictures to show off. I just finished a 2.5 day conference put on by the International Aids Vaccine Initiative. Good stuff for the most part. I'll save you from most of the details but will mention that the pool here is the biggest in East Africa. 50 meters of which I could only swim about 8 lengths...but I think I that I did them in world record pace...now that's only if there's a division that starts off freestyle...then moves into a back stroke kick...then to dog paddle...finished with a walk to the ledge. Man would Kevin Egli be disappointed. But Kevin would not be disappointed in the Ball State sweatshirt that one of the conference goers was wearing. He was from India...not Indiana. But when I told him where ball state was he mentioned how he knew Indiana was good in basketball. Maybe not Ball State but definitely that one team from Hickory.
One of the conference attendees based in Uganda had about 60 people to her house for dinner on Tuesday. Leslie Nielson (I got excited thinking it might be the same person from Naked Gun...nope) lives with her husband and 3 dogs in a fashionably rustic house right on the lake. After a 40 minute boat ride we were welcomed by african drummers, dancers, food and drinks. The house was log cabin-sh with exposed wood and had a metal sheet roof. Sitting right on the lake and with the african decor - it was impressive. Rustic with hi speed internet.
Highlights from Kampala - There are huge birds that fly over Kampala. I couldn't find the name. We saw one walking through a park and it looked like a little person.

Lowlight from Kampala - We came across an infant on the street...just sitting on the side of the road. She was maybe one year old, I'm pretty sure she couldn't walk yet. She was sitting with her hand out as she had been taught to help her mother beg for money. We stood there next to her as others just walked by. Her mother was down the street a ways and was watching for people that might give her money. This is the same city where cars and motorbikes sometimes drive on the sidewalks to beat traffic. Michelle sternly motioned for her to pick up her baby. She had two other little boys that were both crying. It was selfishly her team of little beggars. It was the closest that we've come to stealing a child. Sad.
We are leaving for Kigali Rwanda tonight. Michelle is going for the first time so I look forward to showing her around some familiar territory of mine. We should have a pretty fun weekend with our friend Ty. Maybe we'll head to Kibuye on Lake Kivu. Not sure yet. Michelle intended to see the Silverback Gorillas but there aren't any openings for this week. Maybe next time. Michelle will be there through Friday and I'll just be there until Tuesday. Will hopefully post some pictures and things in the next few days. Hope everything is going well.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home