Michelle & Bob in Zambia

Friday, March 23, 2007

Chali Lubemba School in George Compound



I still remember that unique feeling that came with the first day of school. My shoes had that unfamiliar "new" feel and of course they were spotless. My brother and I were both sporting new outfits from JC Penny. My backpack didn't quite fit comfortably yet but it was filled with crisp folders and sharp pencils. I actually looked forward to homework and cherished the feeling of not being behind yet in any schoolwork. There was excitment that came with a new teacher and not knowing who was going to be in my class.

Mine was an incredibly priviledged experience. Michelle and I visited one of the poorest schools in one of the poorest compounds in Lusaka. On January 8, students were just returning to Chali Lubemba Community School after their Holiday break. All around the school were the big smiles and the excitment that I felt at Alan Shepherd Elementary School roughly 20 years ago. We expected going in that it would be very different than anything we had seen before. It was immediately apparent that there weren't any new shoes and most children arrived at school barefoot. Instead of new outfits, there were shirts, dresses, and pants littered with holes. There was no electricity, few desks, a couple chalkboards, an incredibly sad bathroom with no hand-washing facilities. But the smiles and excitement were still there. These kids were happy to be back at school.

Our visit to the school was scheduled 2 weeks in advance so there was time for the school to "properly" welcome us. Had we known that an event was made of our visit we would have definitely been on time. Instead we showed up about two hours late. Waiting for us was a group of 500 children, a band of African drummers, a troupe of child-dancers, and an authentic cultural dancer. Michelle and I were directed to our seats right up front. The pictures describe the event far better than I can. We were dumbfounded. At one point I addressed the crowd to say thank you. I stated that I would like to help the school in any way I can. I assured them that I would share their school with my friends and family and maybe together we could make a difference.

After the welcome ceremony, we met with the headmaster, two teachers and members of the community that support the school. We wanted to find out how we could help provide resources to the school. Everything we mentioned was on their wish list: books, paper, pencils, chalk, desks, benches, shoes, a wall fence around the school to provide safety and a sense of comfort. Where do we begin? We told Emmanuelle, the Director of the school, that we would share the needs of the school with friends and family. We offered to commect the school with a Peace Corp volunteer who could solidify connections with the ministry of education. Emmanuelle said that he would work with the government to ensure anything sent from abroad would not incure VAT and Duty upon entry to the country. Emmanuelle upheld his end of the deal, now we have to uphold ours.

At this point, we aren't asking you to wire money or send supplies but please send us an email to let us know that you would like to help. There is something that you probably have in your own house that would be of value to the school, so everyone has something to give. Just let us know who you are. Send an email to either Bob (yohnka@gmail.com) or Michelle (michelle.keeling@gmail.com) Please let us know if you are interested in helping. All we ask for now is an email.

The school consists for 3 classrooms. The classrooms might hold 25 children. Somehow the school is home to 450 children from grades 1 through 6. They come in 3 groups with the youngest in the morning, oldest in the afternoon and the middle grades in between.


This is Emmanuelle. He built the school and oversees the administration.



This is the group of teachers and community members that we met with. This is the head office for the school.







Notice the kids up in the trees.







This is our friend Winster who took us out to the school. (on the left)




Inside one of the classrooms.



This is the restroom used by students.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home