Michelle & Bob in Zambia

Monday, August 20, 2007

Going Back to George Compound Today

I'ven't (I love the double apostrophe...not used as much as it should be) kept my end of the deal. I promised quite a few people more regular updates about activities and especially Chalilubemba School in George Compound. When we were home we raised just over $2000 for the school. I can't tell you how surprised we were with this generosity. We received donations from (I'm guessing) 50 or so people. One of the coolest gifts came from the Whalen's in Kankakee... The Whalen kids all donated a good portion of their allowance to help their kid-counterparts in Africa. If you made a contribution, I've done my best to keep your name and will send you updates as I have them. Thanks again!

Michelle and I are going back to the school today for the first time since we've been back in town. One of the project physicians is going with us. Dr. Chanda is a member of the Lions Club in Lusaka and has assisted similar schools in the past. Today, we plan to assess the needs of the school again and Dr Chanda can help prioritize activities. We will consider teaming up with the Lion's club here and and perhaps making the donation to them with the expectation that the money goes to this specific school. That could be easier than Michelle and I trying to administer all aspects. But will plan to provide oversight along the way and make sure the money goes where it is supposed to. We will keep you posted on those logistics.

Michelle and I are back in Lusaka for awhile now. No more trips until family comes in October. We are trying to plan a trip to Namibia with Bill, Mom, Eileen, and maybe Harry. No details yet but hopefully soon.

Email Michelle if you want to know what dysentery feels like? She recently experienced it.

Email me if you know anything about broken fingers. I think I broke my right index finger yesterday while at dog school with Suki (our biggest dog). She got the urge to go somewhere quickly...as the leash tightened it caught hold of my finger. Pretty swollen today. I hope it heals better than my right pinky which never fully recovered from a tragic kickball accident. Signs of age? Countdown to 30 = 11 days.

The cubs are in first...and the fingers on my right hand are still good enough to count the number of times "first" and "cubs" went together at the end of august (in my lifetime...then again...maybe in my dad's lifetime too). I'm trying not to get too excited. I might have to stay on this continent much longer if it means success for the bears and cubs. Feel free to text cubs scores to 260 966 957 822. It's really pretty cheap. And make sure to say who you are or lie and claim that you are Ron Santo (Jim Kim...I count on you for stuff like this).

Ok. I think my train of thought is getting harder to follow. I will let you know how our visit goes today.

Go Cubs!

1 Comments:

  • At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Bob and Michelle, Pat Braun and Bob here. After struggling with my dissertation proposal, I finally had a chance to catch you blog. You are both incredible writers. The text and pictures are so vivid, I feel like I am there. Anxious to hear about Karleen's adventures.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home