"You Find Yourself Standin..."
Bill knows all the words to that Uncle Tupelo song. Over the last 2 months I've been standin"...
In the centerfield bleachers of wrigley field. The game didn't give us much to stand for but it was cool being there with Michele, Greg Johnson, Uncle Sam, Lori, Dad, Bill, and Patrice. Michelle has since vowed to never go to another cubs game. Next year their might be an extra ticket. Let me know if you're in.
At a blues bar in Chicago with friends from Zambia, Ashley and Colin.
Inside Anne Frank's house. We toured the house in which Anne Frank and 7 others lived for 2 years. After 60 years, the house still has an eeriness that makes you afraid to speak.
Outside of a small farm house in Clifton (or was it Chebanse). Dad took Michelle and I on a ride through his old neighborhood. We saw both sides of the tracks and learned that rocks don't really curve when you throw them at a moving train. It just looks like they do.
At the finish line of the Bix Race in Davenport Iowa. There was a field of 13,000 for the 15K race. I think I finished in the top 4,000. It's a good time and might be an annual event. Inspirational signs made by Bri and Ella helped get to the finish.
At the Kankakee farmers market with my Aunt Maryann. She wasn't feeling too great in early July but she liked to stroll through the market and watch Bill's live radio show. Towards the end of the month, I found myself standing at her bedside. I walked into the room when she had just fallen asleep. She opened her eyes and said, "I like when you come surprise me like that." Spending time with Aunt Maryann, her siblings, my siblings, cousins, in-laws, nieces, nephews and friends was the best part of being at home. My Aunt Maryann passed away just a few days after we left Kankakee. She left Michelle and I a generous gift for the school in George Compound. I hope to write more about that this year. I wish I could have been at the funeral and been with Julianna, Aunt Pat, my mom and everyone else. They took such good care of her over the last year. It made me proud to be part of their family.
Then back in Lusaka, I found myself streaking down an uneven football pitch. By streaking I mean not quite keeping up with the other guys on the field but running so hard I almost fell down. Came home covered in dirt and late for dinner.
In the centerfield bleachers of wrigley field. The game didn't give us much to stand for but it was cool being there with Michele, Greg Johnson, Uncle Sam, Lori, Dad, Bill, and Patrice. Michelle has since vowed to never go to another cubs game. Next year their might be an extra ticket. Let me know if you're in.
At a blues bar in Chicago with friends from Zambia, Ashley and Colin.
Inside Anne Frank's house. We toured the house in which Anne Frank and 7 others lived for 2 years. After 60 years, the house still has an eeriness that makes you afraid to speak.
Outside of a small farm house in Clifton (or was it Chebanse). Dad took Michelle and I on a ride through his old neighborhood. We saw both sides of the tracks and learned that rocks don't really curve when you throw them at a moving train. It just looks like they do.
At the finish line of the Bix Race in Davenport Iowa. There was a field of 13,000 for the 15K race. I think I finished in the top 4,000. It's a good time and might be an annual event. Inspirational signs made by Bri and Ella helped get to the finish.
At the Kankakee farmers market with my Aunt Maryann. She wasn't feeling too great in early July but she liked to stroll through the market and watch Bill's live radio show. Towards the end of the month, I found myself standing at her bedside. I walked into the room when she had just fallen asleep. She opened her eyes and said, "I like when you come surprise me like that." Spending time with Aunt Maryann, her siblings, my siblings, cousins, in-laws, nieces, nephews and friends was the best part of being at home. My Aunt Maryann passed away just a few days after we left Kankakee. She left Michelle and I a generous gift for the school in George Compound. I hope to write more about that this year. I wish I could have been at the funeral and been with Julianna, Aunt Pat, my mom and everyone else. They took such good care of her over the last year. It made me proud to be part of their family.
Then back in Lusaka, I found myself streaking down an uneven football pitch. By streaking I mean not quite keeping up with the other guys on the field but running so hard I almost fell down. Came home covered in dirt and late for dinner.


1 Comments:
At 4:08 AM,
Anonymous said…
Bobby Y, please tell me you're keeping tabs on the MLB playoffs. Always a good time when both Chicago teams are in the mix...
Post a Comment
<< Home